Call Us Today : (817) 659-1133

Arlington Custody Modification

While a custody order is set in stone, people are not. Parents move onto new jobs and new relationships. Kids have different needs and desires as they grow. Sometimes a stable home becomes dysfunctional, or vice versa.

The experienced attorneys of J.D. Milks, PLLC, can protect your parental rights and the best interests of your child if you need to revisit child custody or the parenting plan. Our Arlington family law practice handles custody modifications in the Mid-Cities area and surrounding communities of Tarrant, Dallas and Johnson counties.

Modifying Parenting Arrangements After Divorce

If the original custody or visitation arrangement no longer reflects your family’s needs, or if something major has happened or changed, it may be necessary to modify custody. Our knowledgeable attorneys have handled many scenarios:

  • Petition for sole custody — The other parent is abusive, mentally ill, incarcerated, has a drug or alcohol problem, or has a new partner who is not healthy for your child.
  • Reversal of primary custody — A teenager wants to live with the other parent.
  • Increase in parenting time (visitation) — The noncustodial parent wants to take a bigger role and spend more time with the children, which may also lead to child support modification.
  • Parent relocation — The custodial parent wants to move out of Texas with the children.
  • Modification of the parenting plan — A new work schedule or other circumstances require a change in pickup times, overnights, vacation dates or other logistics.

Custody modifications are fact-specific and sometimes bitterly contested. We will sit down with you to understand the situation and explain your rights and the legal process. It may be possible (and best for all involved) to negotiate a new custody arrangement out of court. In other cases, it may be necessary (or favorable to you) to have a judge settle the matter.

First impressions make a difference in custody hearings. Our trial lawyers will prepare you to put your best foot forward and make a case for the best interests of your child. For example, you want to show the family court judge you are reasonable, mature and cooperative, rather than being confrontational or bad-mouthing the other parent.

Do You Need To Change A Custody Order In Tarrant County?

Call (817) 659-1133 or email us to schedule a free consultation with our Arlington or Mansfield custody modification lawyers.